Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Summer Fun...For Free!!!

So we have spent the last week finding places and things to do that don't cost anything, or don't cost much. Keeping three kids occupied and happy is a job all in itself and sitting around the house all day just won't work. So I took to the internet and found a multitude of things to do that are budget friendly! For those people who have a Bass Pro shop near them, every Tuesday and Thursday from Noon to 6pm there is a "summer Camp" for families where the kids can practice casting, shooting at the arcade, and make crafts, all for free! They also have it on the weekends at a different time I think, but I think all the stores have the same schedule. We have a mini zoo near us that doesn't have very many animals, but the kids don't seem to mind much and right now they have an exhibit where they can feed the lorekeet birds, which they think is awesome and it's only 2$ for Em and nothing for the boys, 3$ for me and we take a picnic lunch! We also have a water park here at the library so we make an afternoon of it and go over to the library and then spend quite a while at the waterpark, there are several different ones near by and they are all free. Mcdonald's...I know it sounds weird, but even if you go and get a 1$ sundae and share it with the kids, they get to play, take a good book and let them run free... Several times over the last couple of weeks, we go about 11am, I get them a burger kids meal, or if they want chicken instead of a toy they get a mini meal for 2.99$, then they eat and go play, each time we have been there until about 2:30 or 3pm. They get to play with other kids and we usually see a lot of the same people so they even make friends, it is also air condidtioned... To further save money I have been leaving the air conditioner off opening up a few windows and leaving for the hottest part of the day, so I try to pick places where it is cool and then we aren't wasting money on A/C. For some reason when we are home, the kids think they HAVE to be INSIDE. So I have made a concerted effort to make them play outside for a while each day. The kiddie pool has been an awesome addition and after the sun isn't beating on the slide they love that too. I was amazed at some of the simplest things that the kids enjoy doing that take up time and not money. Since everyone seems to be in a race to save money and not spend it anymore, I thought I'd add in my tricks too!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I love the Bass Pro Shop crafts idea! I'm going to take the girls this Thursday. We should meet up! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ideas :-) We're not there yet, but I know it'll be sooner than I realize! Oh, did you know that Saturday mornings kids can build stuff for free at Home Depot? Can't wait to take Landy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What?? I had no idea Heather. Jeez, where have I been? In La-La Land spending all this money... psh.

    ReplyDelete